“Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny…”
~ C.S. Lewis
You’re at work staring at a computer screen willing yourself to care about your job. Trying your best to make small talk with coworkers. Generally feeling like a total fake and exhausted from the effort it takes pretending to be ok. Have you ever felt that way?
If so, read on…
I’ve spent my fair share of time secretly crying in my car, or office, or pretty much anywhere I could be alone. I would then wipe my eyes, slap a smile on my face and proceed with my day. But it was excruciating… I was so empty, so sad, and so tired of pretending.
But does it really have to be this way? In all honesty, it doesn’t. I know that even getting out of bed sometimes feels like an Olympic event, but if you took just a tiny bit of the energy you spent pretending to be ok and put it into doing one or two of the following things you might just be surprised:
- Write it down – not only will you be venting your problems onto a piece of paper, you might also start to see a pattern.
- Listen to music – enough said!
- Get physical – go for a walk.. heck, listen to music while you walk (two birds, one stone).
- Cuddle with your cat – Or your friend’s dog. Pets are therapeutic… cat videos are a good substitute if you can’t get your hands on an actual pet.
- Talk to someone – even if it’s not professional help.
- Positive thoughts – what I like to do is download a ton of positive quotes (images) off Google. When I feel down I go back through them.
That’s it! Six small suggestions. All I’m asking is that you give it a try.