Do you ever get home after a long day sitting on your butt at work and realize that you don’t feel that great?
I used to work as a waitress, so when I joined the 9 to 5 grind and found myself behind a keyboard 8 hours a day I realized two things. One, my waist line was slowly expanding and two, my mental health (mood) was slowly declining. I was becoming miserable.
I’m sure many people can relate. An object at rest stays at rest, right? (That Newton was so damn smart.) So how do you combat this?
My Fitbit has been my greatest weapon against inertia. There is no way I can sit on my butt all day when my Fitbit is reminding me of my step count. Maybe it guilts me into moving. Who cares, it works. One thing is for sure (and proven).. there is much to be said about exercise and mental health. The more you move, the better you feel.
I love, love, love my Fitbit Alta. It is very customizable and the app is genius. PLUS, you can buy extra ‘uber-cool’ wrist bands!
- Water resistant – you can wear it in the shower.
- Customizable display – choose the one that works for you.
- Battery Life – it lasts 5 days before it needs to be charged.
- Shows you who is calling or texting (my favorite feature).
- Will vibrate if you’ve been inactive too long.
- You can order extra wrist bands! (this is the one I have) —–>
- Track your exercise – biking, weight lifting, swimming… anything really.
- Food diary – keep your cravings in line. Record them.
- Sleep tracker – are you getting enough sleep? Fitbit will tell you.
- Challenge your friends – add friends who also have Fitbits and pick a challenge or just keep motivated.
- Tracks water intake – because really, most of us don’t get enough of it.
How To Get The Steps
It really isn’t as hard as you think. Check out this article – 15 Way To Get 10,000 Step a Day Without Exercising More. I use a lot of these tips on a daily basis and after a while it becomes second nature to park further away from the mall doors or to take the stairs instead of the escalator.
Your body AND MIND will thank you for it!